Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
5:07 pm Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Work begins on I-20/59 water, sewer lines

By By Fredie Carmichael / staff writer
May 19, 2004
Trucks are expected to begin moving dirt today the first step in construction of water and sewer lines at the new Interstate 20/59 industrial park, a job expected to last 265 days.
Work will begin more than a month after councilmen hired Kevin Coleman Construction of Wesson to build the $3.1 million project, which will be funded with a matching $1.5 million Economic Development Administration grant.
City officials discovered earlier this year that they were on the verge of losing the grant after a series of delays.
Engineering Associates originally made a error in bid documents to build water and sewer lines at the park leading to a two-month delay in the council hiring a construction company for that project.
Local economic development officials have said that the water and sewer lines and a new I-20/59 interchange are needed at the park to help attract business and industry.
The other delay associated with the park includes the location of its highway access and interstate interchange.
Federal highway officials requested last month the city complete an additional environmental study for the location before the site is confirmed. The amount of time that delay will cause is still uncertain.
East Mississippi Business Development Corp. Chairman Wallace Strickland said he is excited to see the work begin.
IN OTHER BUSINESS
The Meridian City Council took the following actions during its regular Tuesday meeting:
They unanimously approved the designation of U.S. 80 as Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway.
They voted 4-1 to purchase a new fire truck for about $400,000 from Pierce Manufacturing Inc.'s Pro-fire Equipment LLC. Ward 5 Councilman Bobby Smith voted against the purchase because the Pierce bid was about $22,000 more than the other bid. Councilmen originally deadlocked on the purchase last month when Council President Barbara Henson was out of town.
They hired Butch Lambert &Associates LLC for $50,000 to provide professional services associated with the city's garbage collection and its next contract. The city is expected to advertise for bids before Oct. 1. Smith and Ward 4 Councilman Jesse E. Palmer Sr. voted against the hire.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *