Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
6:48 pm Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Construction time nearing for water and sewer to industrial park

By By Fredie Carmichael / staff writer
Dec. 17, 2003
City officials say construction could begin in late March on the installation of the long-awaited water and sewer lines and a 500,000-gallon water tank to serve the Interstate 20/59 industrial park.
Local economic developers have said the infrastructure is critical to luring potential automotive suppliers to the industrial park.
Meridian Mayor John Robert Smith said the city will advertise for construction bids for the water tank next month.
The news came more than a year after a federal economic development official announced a $1.5 million grant to help finance the water and sewer infrastructure at the 600-acre park.
The money came from an Economic Development Administration grant which will be matched by $1.6 million in water and sewer funding from the city of Meridian.
Lauderdale County funds were used to acquire the site in 2000 and a $250,000 state grant has also been awarded to the town of Marion for temporary water service to the industrial park.
Last month, Lauderdale County supervisors proposed that the the park be named the Meridian-Lauderdale County I-20/59 Industrial Park. The name will be painted on the water tank.
City officials later said that the name was too long. City, county and local economic developers are currently working together on naming the park.
Water supply
Monty Jackson, the city's public works director, said the water tank will serve as an additional water supply for the industrial park and nearby residents.
Jackson said the only other delay in the process is acquiring five additional construction easements along the route of the water and sewer lines and acquiring a permit from the Mississippi Department of Transportation to install the lines.
Smith said even though it has taken additional time to purchase easements and right-of-ways, the project has been "vastly faster" than the sewer project to Naval Air Station Meridian.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *