Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
5:59 am Friday, August 22, 2003

Lauderdale County man dies of West Nile

By Staff
from staff and wire reports
Aug. 22, 2003
The state Health Department on Thursday confirmed Mississippi's first West Nile death this year, a 39-year-old Lauderdale County man who had tested positive for the virus on Tuesday.
Health officials did not identify the man. They had said earlier in the week that they were investigating to determine whether his death was related to the mosquito-born illness.
Health officials also confirmed four new human cases: two in Hinds County, one in Leflore County and one in Harrison County. So far, 20 human cases have been confirmed statewide.
Last year's West Nile virus outbreak in Mississippi resulted in 193 human cases and 12 deaths.
We had 76 cases at this time last year. I think we're doing much better than we were last year. People need to remember that it hasn't gone away. They still need to protect themselves,'' said state epidemiologist Dr. Mary Currier.
Public health officials are urging residents to take standard precautions to prevent mosquito bites, including the use of insect repellents and covering exposed areas of the body.
Currier said people should also get rid of places in their yard or surroundings that can breed mosquitos.
West Nile symptoms are often mild or flu-like and may include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, rashes, muscle weakness and swollen lymph nodes, officials said. But the symptoms can also turn life-threatening in certain instances.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *