News
 By  Kellie Singleton Published 
2:58 pm Saturday, August 6, 2011

Red Bay officials looking for better phone, TV service

RED BAY – Meetings with officials from two local communications companies yielded positive results for residents in Red Bay.

At their July 18 meeting, city council members discussed the poor service several residents have reported from the city’s cable provider, MetroCast, with company officials. Council members cited instances of the cable channels freezing for a several-day period of time and a lack of communication as the main problems.

In an e-mail to Mayor Bobby Forsythe provided at Monday night’s city council meeting, Rick Ferrall, the Southern regional manager for MetroCast, said he believed the July 18 meeting was the best they had ever had with city officials and that he now believed everyone had come to a better understanding of why the city’s customers had been experiencing various problems.

“During the meeting, it became obvious that MetroCast has got to do a better job of communicating with the franchise authorities in the communities we serve,” Ferrall said. “I have asked my director of operations to do a quarterly letter or newsletter that keeps each of you up to speed on the improvements and changes we make.”

As previously requested by the council, Ferrall also provided verification from Comcast representative Chris Skelton that showed the fiber optic line installed to bring Huntsville-based channels to Red Bay was in fact in place.

Also at Monday’s meeting, council members received word from Dave Hargrove, a governmental affairs representative for AT&T’s North Alabama coverage area, that Red Bay should receive 3G service in their area between the months of September and October instead of the previously forecasted date of July 2012.

In other business, the council addressed the following items:

• Approved Ordinance 11-08-01 updating Red Bay’s hiring and hiring policy so as to reflect the changes made necessary by the recent Supreme Court ruling in Scott vs. Coachman.

• Accepted the low bid of $72,976 from Warrior Tractor and Equipment Company from Athens for a new backhoe for the city.

• Set the Dixie Youth Board at five members.

• Approved to have Sen. Roger Bedford draft an ordinance to set the salaries for the mayor and council for the 2012-2016 term to be the same as the current mayor and council.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *