Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
2:10 pm Wednesday, September 17, 2003

USM assistant hoops coach told to leave

By By Will Bardwell / staff writer
Sept. 17, 2003
HATTIESBURG Southern Miss assistant basketball coach Luster Goodwin "was told he had to resign" following secondary NCAA violations, according to USM athletic director Richard Giannini.
Goodwin's departure followed revelations that he held individual workouts for student-athletes before they were admitted to USM, and that he provided "non-permissible" transportation to two basketball players.
Federal law prohibits university officials from naming the students. However, Giannini confirmed that Brannon Hayes and Rudolph Mauricette, both of whom signed with USM out of Lee Junior College in Baytown, Texas, are no longer in Hattiesburg.
Hayes and Mauricette have been ruled academically ineligible to compete at the Division I level.
USM's internal investigation began when the university's Center for International and Continuing Education discovered differences between transcripts that were received this summer and a transcript that was received on Sept. 3. Mauricette is from France, and federal law now requires background checks on all international students.
Don Olberhelman, the university's NCAA compliance director, said it became apparent that the students' transcripts had been "doctored."
Olberhelman said no evidence exists that Goodwin made the changes, but the investigation revealed Goodwin's non-permissible transportation.
Giannini said that Goodwin lied when he was questioned about the incident.
Olberhelman talked to the athletes and they told him (about the transportation). That's when I called him, and he was told he had to resign."
Giannini said Goodwin did so immediately.
Olberhelman said not all transportation is prohibited by NCAA rules, but Goodwin's was a clear violation.
According to Olberhelman, the university submitted an infractions letter to the NCAA on Monday. The secondary violations are not likely to carry any infractions.
Goodwin was first hired by Southern Miss in 2000 after a five-year stint as an assistant at Texas-El Paso.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *