Archived Story

More funding available to help 2011 storm victims

Published 6:03am Saturday, September 8, 2012

Families who are still trying to recover from the devastating April 27, 2011 tornado outbreak might be able to receive some financial help replacing their homes.
Jim Byard Jr., director of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs, made the announcement on Thursday about the program, which is funded by a Community Development Block Grant and made possible by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which provided the state with funding for this assistance.
The program will provide a total of $6-8 million and owners of single family homes in one of the affected counties could receive up to $25,000 to repair or rebuild their home if they are eligible to receive the funds.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), 6,237 houses and 1,275 mobile homes were destroyed in Alabama during the two-week tornado outbreak that includes the deadly April 27 EF-5 tornado that ripped through Franklin County.
In Phil Campbell alone, damages were estimated at $119 million with a near 1,200 structures or homes destroyed.
“Although it has been nearly a year and a half since these storms struck, many Alabamians are still hurting and need help,” Byard said in a statement.
“Governor Bentley pledged all available resources to help people recover, and acting on his behalf, ADECA secured these additional federal funds to aid people who have been unable to get the assistance they need.”
According to ADECA, applicants will be required to provide proof that they own their home; that their house was damaged by tornadoes in April 2011; proof of income and that they have received no funding or reimbursement from other sources to cover the full amount of damage to the structure.
In addition to repairs and rebuilding, eligible projects can include demolition and cleanup.
Three regional organizations will be taking applications for this funding in the next two months: Community Action Partnership of North Alabama Inc., Community Service Programs of West Alabama Inc. and the Alabama Rural Coalition for the Homeless.
The Community Action Partnership of North Alabama Inc. will be the agency in charge of taking applications from Franklin County residents as well as residents from Cullman, Lawrence, Colbert, Marion and Walker counties.
Priority of funding will be given to low-income persons; the elderly and disabled; households with children; and displaced persons.
For more information or to apply contact Community Action at: Community Action Partnership of North Alabama Inc., 1909 Central Parkway SW, Decatur, AL 35601; Toll Free Number: 1-855-469-3267.

Editor's Picks