Franklin County, News
 By  Kellie Singleton Published 
1:37 pm Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Vina teachers indicted for sex acts

LEFT: Sonny Tibbs. RIGHT: Brian Keeton.

LEFT: Sonny Tibbs. RIGHT: Brian Keeton.

The two Vina High School teachers arrested in November 2013 for allegedly having sex with two separate students were indicted by a recent grand jury, Franklin County District Attorney Joey Rushing said.

Physical education teacher Sonny Dewaine Tibbs, 39, 525 Wakefield St., Hamilton, was indicted on two counts of being a school employee engaging in sex with a student.

Boys basketball coach Brian Scott Keeton, 41, 73 Lost Creek Lane, Carbon Hill, was indicted on one count of being a school employee engaging in sex with a student.

According to Rushing, the charges are a Class B felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Rushing said the indictments stem from separate incidents that allegedly occurred in the summer and fall of 2013.

Franklin County Sheriff Shannon Oliver said Tibbs was arrested on Nov. 8, 2013, after allegations surfaced that he had been having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old Vina senior for approximately six weeks.

Oliver said the sheriff’s office was made aware of the allegations after being contacted by the girl’s family.

Oliver said investigators questioned the 17-year-old girl before picking Tibbs up at his residence in Hamilton.

Investigators said Tibbs admitted to the relationship during questioning.

Oliver said the investigation revealed that Tibbs and the female student had kissed and sent text messages to one another while on school property, but no sexual activity had taken place on school grounds.

According to school officials, Tibbs had been employed as the P.E. teacher at Vina for several years.

Just five days after Tibbs’ arrest, Keeton was arrested on the same charges after allegations surfaced that he had been involved in a sexual relationship with a different 17-year-old Vina senior.

Oliver said the alleged incident did not take place on school grounds.

According to Oliver, the sexual act reportedly occurred in the fall of 2013 but the two have allegedly been talking on the phone and through text messages since the summer of 2013.

Oliver said the sheriff’s office was made aware of the allegations through the investigation of Tibbs.

“While our investigators were following up on the allegations against Mr. Tibbs, information came to light that indicated Mr. Keeton had also been involved in a sexual relationship with a different student at Vina,” Oliver said.

“Investigators looked into those allegations and collected enough information to make an arrest.”

Oliver said investigators spoke with the 17-year-old student before picking Keeton up at Vina High School for questioning.

Unlike Tibbs, who reportedly confessed to his ongoing relationship with a student, Oliver said Keeton denied the allegations against him.

According to school officials, Keeton was in his second year as a math teacher at Vina and his first year as the head coach of the boys basketball team.

Both Tibbs and Keeton officially resigned their positions with the Franklin County School System earlier in 2014.

Franklin County District Attorney Joey Rushing said that 16 is the age of consent under Alabama law, but a bill sponsored by Rep. Demetrius Newton (D-Birmingham) and signed into law by Gov. Bob Riley in 2010 made it a felony for a teacher to have a sexual relationship with a student under the age of 19.

“Based on the position of trust that teachers have with the students they teach, the legislators obviously felt that the age should be raised to illustrate the point that a sexual relationship between a teacher and a student can have serious consequences,” Rushing said.

“By making the act a Class B felony, legislators tried to make it clear to teachers that entering into a sexual affair can cause many problems for not only the teacher and the student, but other students as well. The trust and respect teachers need to have in a classroom setting is lost at that point.”

Rushing said both cases would be set for arraignment hearings later this month.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *