Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
2:30 pm Monday, May 10, 2004

Guarding against base closure

By Staff
May 9, 2004
A congressional effort to delay the 2005 round of military base closures is interesting, but this is no time for Mississippi officials to let down their guard. The 2005 defense authorization bill, approved by a U.S. House subcommittee last week, faces full committee action this week. It contains a two-year delay in what is commonly referred to as BRAC, for base realignment and closure.
It goes without saying that while members of Mississippi's congressional delegation fight for the delay, state and local officials must not relent in preparing their best case for keeping installations such as Naval Air Station Meridian and the Air Guard's 186th Air Refueling Wing open.
We continue to hold the thought that NAS Meridian and the 186th ARW represent key components of the U.S. military and to close them would only endanger the cause of national defense. The BRAC commission, under a mandate from President Bush to close about one-quarter of U.S. bases, has some difficult choices to make even in the best of times. These are not those times, and a two-year delay makes a good deal of sense.
We agree that old strategies may be inadequate to fight the wars certain to come in the future, but pulling the plug on viable, efficient, productive military installations seems terribly destructive. Pitting American communities against each other only adds to the angst.
If the Department of Defense wants, for example, to achieve jointness in jet fighter pilot training, we can think of no better place than NAS Meridian. Presumably, NAS Pensacola is in little danger and NAS Meridian is competing with NAS Kingsville, Tex., for the right to train pilots. Most of the Navy strike pilots the ones who fly missions off aircraft carriers are already trained at NAS Meridian.
Lamar McDonald of Meridian wears hats as chairman of the Meridian Military Team and the Mississippi Military Communities Council, two of the state's organizations devoted to protecting bases in Mississippi. He got it right last week when he said:
McDonald also said the state and local team will continue to act and prepare as if the BRAC process will continue in 2005.
At this point, such preparation remains essential.

Also on Franklin County Times
Watermelon Winners 2026
B: WATERMELON FESTIVAL, Franklin County
Griffin Traylor 
August 20, 2026
MOST UNUSUAL   First place: Lorena Bonilla (Russellville)     BEST DRESSED   First place: Aymar Bonilla (Russellville)   Second place: Candy Owens (La...
Byrd’s final song a fitting tribute
News, Russellville, Z - News Main
By Brady Petree 
August 19, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — When organizers landed country music star Tracy Byrd as the headline performer for the 45th annual Franklin County Watermelon Festival,...
Russellville graduate deported
Main, News, Russellville, ...
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE – A 19-year-old Russellville High School graduate was deported from the United States on Aug. 9, according to the Department of Homeland ...
Locomotive gets new paint at Railroad Park
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RED BAY — The 1923 steam locomotive at the Railroad Park is getting a new paint job as work on a concrete pad, lighting and other features continues. ...
RMS kicks off character program
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RUSSSELLVILLE – Liberty Learning Foundation programs at Russellville Middle School now extend through all three grade levels with sixth graders studyi...
Major hire
High School Sports, Russellville Golden Tigers, Sports
RUSSELLVILLE GOLDEN TIGERS
RUSSELLVILLE LOOKS TO RIDE HIGGINS’ BOOST
By Matt St. Charles Sports Writer 
August 19, 2026
It was going to take a great opportunity for Darrell Higgins to leave Mars Hill at the end of last season. He’d been there for 10 years, coaching the ...
Obituaries
Obituaries
August 19, 2026
  John Wayne Terry Aug. 12, 2026   John Wayne Terry, 68, of Russellville, passed away Aug. 12. Visitation took place at Spry Memorial Chapel Aug. 18 f...
Still on the hunt
High School Sports, Red Bay Tigers, Sports
RED BAY TIGERS
By A. Stacy Long Sports Writer 
August 19, 2026
After enjoying a major year-over-year leap, Red Bay football instead took a step back over the offseason. Oh, my, boys basketball and baseball, what e...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *