Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
2:30 pm Monday, May 10, 2004

Guarding against base closure

By Staff
May 9, 2004
A congressional effort to delay the 2005 round of military base closures is interesting, but this is no time for Mississippi officials to let down their guard. The 2005 defense authorization bill, approved by a U.S. House subcommittee last week, faces full committee action this week. It contains a two-year delay in what is commonly referred to as BRAC, for base realignment and closure.
It goes without saying that while members of Mississippi's congressional delegation fight for the delay, state and local officials must not relent in preparing their best case for keeping installations such as Naval Air Station Meridian and the Air Guard's 186th Air Refueling Wing open.
We continue to hold the thought that NAS Meridian and the 186th ARW represent key components of the U.S. military and to close them would only endanger the cause of national defense. The BRAC commission, under a mandate from President Bush to close about one-quarter of U.S. bases, has some difficult choices to make even in the best of times. These are not those times, and a two-year delay makes a good deal of sense.
We agree that old strategies may be inadequate to fight the wars certain to come in the future, but pulling the plug on viable, efficient, productive military installations seems terribly destructive. Pitting American communities against each other only adds to the angst.
If the Department of Defense wants, for example, to achieve jointness in jet fighter pilot training, we can think of no better place than NAS Meridian. Presumably, NAS Pensacola is in little danger and NAS Meridian is competing with NAS Kingsville, Tex., for the right to train pilots. Most of the Navy strike pilots the ones who fly missions off aircraft carriers are already trained at NAS Meridian.
Lamar McDonald of Meridian wears hats as chairman of the Meridian Military Team and the Mississippi Military Communities Council, two of the state's organizations devoted to protecting bases in Mississippi. He got it right last week when he said:
McDonald also said the state and local team will continue to act and prepare as if the BRAC process will continue in 2005.
At this point, such preparation remains essential.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *