Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
11:19 pm Thursday, August 29, 2002

Manslaughter defendant to serve three-year sentence

By By Suzanne Monk / managing editor
Aug. 29, 2002
A Meridian man was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday for the New Year's Eve shooting death of Christopher Howard of 20th Street Extension Road.
Tavio Lashante Holmes, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter earlier this month.
Circuit Judge Robert Bailey imposed a 20-year sentence. Seventeen years were suspended, but the judge said Holmes will have to pay more than $6,000 to Howard's family to pay for his funeral in additional to a $2,500 fine and court costs.
A police spokesman said earlier this year that the sequence of events that led to Howard's death began during a New Year's Eve celebration at the Platinum City Bar in Meridian.
The dispatcher received a 911 call about a fight that apparently began inside the bar and continued outside, ending up in the parking lot of a car wash at 25th Avenue and Fourth Street where shots were fired.
Howard was struck by more than one bullet and transported by private car to Riley Hospital. He was pronounced dead in the parking lot about 2 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2002.
Holmes was shot in the buttocks during the altercation, but was treated and released. He was taken into custody at his home at 3511 Second St. on Jan. 3. A Lauderdale County grand jury issued a manslaughter indictment against him in March.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *