Opinion
6:02 am Wednesday, September 10, 2025

Fake bomb threats have serious consequences

School bomb threats are a serious concern and no matter what the intent is, they are never taken lightly. Many times, the call is simply meant to be a joke. But in today’s world, every threat must be taken seriously by school officials and law enforcement agencies. There is just too much at risk not to do so.

Sadly, the consequences of these fake threats can be extreme, as a 15-year-old Phil Campbell student learned the hard way last week.

“This is going to change his [the juvenile’s] life,” said Phil Campbell Police Chief Jessica Clements. “The person has been a decent student, not had any problems.”

But none of those things matter, Clements quickly added. “You can’t not do your job because you know that history. We [police] have to do our job.”

The juvenile was arrested and charged with first-degree making a terrorist threat. He was placed in the Franklin County Juvenile detention facility in Russellville, officials said.

When he gets out of juvenile detention, he may not be welcomed on any of the county’s school campuses. He committed a Class III offense, which is listed in the school system’s handbook as one of the most serious offenses. The penalty for those serious offenses: suspension and possible recommendation for expulsion.

And the consequences could continue to impact the student’s future as well, affecting his ability to find another high school that will accept him, and reducing his chances to go to college. And the criminal charges could make it difficult to get jobs in the future.

Each time a threat is made against one of our schools, man hours and tax dollars are wasted searching the school. In Phil Campbell, the Florence Police Department’s bomb squad had to be called in to sweep the school. It took more than an hour to conduct the sweep. Such delays disrupt the school day for students, and for families as some parents had to leave work to come get their children.

Clements said last week’s incident created an opportunity for law enforcement, school officials and parents to have some frank discussions with students.

“I guess we’re going to have to go around to classes and say, this is what’s in store for your future if you do this,” the police chief said.

Brooklyn Bigbee, mental health coordinator for Colbert County schools, agrees now is the time for parents to have a conversation with their school-age children.

“It’s up to parents, as well as our staff, to be proactive and let students know that threats are not taken lightly,” Bigbee said.

We agree. Mom and Dad, sit down with your children who are in school and talk to them about school bomb threats. Ask them why they think students make such threats. See if they have ever experienced at school the disruptions caused by such a threat, and what their thoughts were at the time.

Then ask them if they are aware of the consequences for a student who makes such a prank call — the criminal charges, time in a juvenile detention center, and suspension and/ or expulsion from school. Then ask them if they have ever thought about how such a prank call could impact them later in life.

It’s not a pleasant conversation, but it is a necessary one. If talking frankly about the lasting impacts of such a threat keeps a student from making the mistake, it could be a discussion they’ll someday be thankful they had.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *