Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
12:56 pm Sunday, December 29, 2002

Financial help available for tornado victims

By Staff
from staff and wire reports
Dec. 27, 2002
NEWTON The U.S. Small Business Administration will open a disaster assistance office Monday in Newton to help homeowners and business owners in nine East Mississippi counties apply for disaster aid.
The SBA will make low-interest disaster loans available in areas damaged by the Dec. 19 severe weather. Counties include Clarke, Jasper, Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake, Neshoba, Newton, Scott and Smith
Severe weather struck East Mississippi last week, including one tornado with up to 157 mph winds that devastated parts of Newton and another with up to 72 mph winds that hit southeast Lauderdale County.
Allen said the deadline for physical damage applications is Feb. 24 and the deadline for economic injury applications is Sept. 24.
Amy Carruth, public relations director of the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, said insurance information is the most essential documentation applicants will need to take with them to the disaster assistance office.
She said applicants also will need their Social Security number and the address of the damaged property.
She said applicants will receive a packet for their loan application that will require more specific information to be completed and returned to the office.
The SBA offers loans of up to $200,000 to repair disaster-damaged homes. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to replace personal property.
Loans to businesses and nonprofit organizations of up to $1.5 million are available to repair damage to real estate, machinery, equipment, inventory and leasehold improvements.
Economic Injury Disaster Loans also may be made to small businesses unable to pay bills and meet expenses because of the disaster.
Interest rates can be as low as 2.937 percent for homeowners and renters and 3.324 percent or businesses with terms up to 30 years. Actual loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based upon the applicant's financial condition.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *