Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
12:32 am Friday, November 15, 2002

Moore: 1964 case unlikely to be reopened says chances slim

By By William F. West / community editor
Nov. 15, 2002
State Attorney General Mike Moore said Thursday that chances of reopening the 1964 Neshoba County civil rights slayings are slim because of the recent deaths of key players and witnesses.
Former Neshoba County Sheriff Lawrence Andrew Rainey Sr. died last week; Rainey's former chief deputy, Cecil Price Sr., died in May 2001. Moore said Price had been cooperating in the case and was willing to testify.
Moore was in Meridian to speak at a meeting of the Mississippi Sheriffs Association, which ended Thursday. Moore spoke about the Neshoba County case in an interview before his speech.
Rainey, Price and 16 others were tried in federal court in October 1967 on charges they conspired to violate the federal civil rights of three men who were murdered in June 1964.
Rainey and seven others were acquitted of the charges. Price and six others were convicted. Jurors reached no verdict on the remaining three.
Mississippi has never brought murder charges against anyone in the case. Moore and investigators had been studying the case to see if they could reopen it.
The case dates back to June 21, 1964.
Civil rights activists James Earl Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner disappeared after going to Neshoba County to investigate a church burning. Their bodies were found Aug. 4, 1964, buried in an earthen dam.
Chaney was from Meridian, while Goodman and Schwerner were from New York. They were part of the Freedom Summer 1964 drive to register blacks to vote in Mississippi.
Moore said that he hadn't contacted Rainey recently. The attorney general declined to discuss what role Rainey may have had in the case if the state had reopened it.
Moore said the Neshoba County case has at least one positive point: Ku Klux Klan leader Sam Bowers, who was one of the six convicted with Price, is now in state prison.
Bowers was sentenced in 1998 to life for the 1966 murder of civil rights leader Vernon Dahmer of Hattiesburg.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *