Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
5:54 pm Thursday, March 7, 2002

Two more arrested for school bomb threats

By By Steve Gillespie / staff writer
March 6, 2002
Add two more juveniles to the list of students charged with making bomb threats at Meridian public schools.
That's not all. Meridian School Safety Director Sam Thompson said Tuesday more arrests could come in connection with the eight bomb threats this year at Kate Griffin Junior High and Meridian High School.
Thompson, other school district officials and law enforcement officials announced the latest arrests at a new conference Tuesday. The two juveniles were arrested and charged Friday.
The latest arrests came in connection with a bomb threat at Kate Griffin last week. They also came about two weeks after two other juveniles were arrested and charged with bomb threats.
None of the juveniles' names were released.
If convicted, the court will determine the juveniles' sentence based on prior records and whatever the judge believes is best for the minor. Juvenile records are confidential.
Information that led to the arrests of all four juveniles came from CrimeStoppers calls. A $1,000 award was paid to the individual who gave information regarding the first two suspects.
Thompson said an award has not yet been determined by the Lauderdale County CrimeStoppers Board for information that led to Friday's arrests. CrimeStoppers offers rewards of up to $1,000 for information.
Meridian School Superintendent Janet McLin said at the news conference that last week's bomb threat was called in to Kate Griffin before 7:30 a.m. Feb. 27.
The school was evacuated and students waited on school buses while the building was checked by fire investigator Vince Vincent and the Meridian Fire Department's bomb sniffing dog Bleck.
Students were back in the school within an hour. McLin praised the dog, saying that "we see a great deal of benefit in Bleck being on the force."
Thompson urged others with information on school bomb threats to call the district's Youth CrimeStoppers phone number at 484-4906.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *