Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
10:49 am Saturday, November 24, 2001

Collins man killed Friday in I-20/59 wreck

By Staff
From Staff and Wire reports
Nov. 24, 2001
A Collins man was killed Friday when his pickup truck veered off Interstate 59 at mile marker 148 as he tried to merge onto Interstate 20
Paul Bolton, 36, died from massive internal chest injuries he suffered after his truck hit a tree, said Marl Cobler, the Lauderdale County coroner-medical examiner.
Authorities said excessive speed and a wet roadway probably contributed to the 11:15 a.m. accident, which occurred about three miles west of Meridian at the I-20/59 split.
Bolton was among at least four people killed on Mississippi roads since the Thanksgiving holiday travel period began at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The travel period ends at midnight Sunday.
Last year, seven people died on Mississippi highways during the holiday period.
Besides Bolton, three other people were killed and two were injured Friday morning in an accident on U.S. 49 in Stone County about 10 miles south of Wiggins.
Staff Sgt. Walter Armstrong of the Mississippi Highway Patrol said the 4 a.m. crash occurred when a 1995 GMC pickup truck hydroplaned, spun off the roadway, struck a tree and flipped over.
Killed were Yolanda Pope, 19, and Krystal Bolden, 19, both of Wiggins, and Nephretie Bradshaw, 20, of Long Beach. All three had been riding without seat belts in the back seat of the extended cab truck, Armstrong said.
The driver of the truck, Frederick Lewis, 21, of Wiggins, was treated and released from Garden Park Hospital in Gulfport. A front seat passenger, Terranthium Galloway, 19, of Wiggins, was taken to the same hospital where he remained in serious condition Friday.
The Highway Patrol was investigating the accident, Armstrong said.
Officers have stepped up patrols and set up safety check points around the state, Armstrong said.
We're just doing all that we can to keep that fatality count down,'' he said. We just can't stress enough the importance of wearing seat belts.''
As of Friday, Armstrong said 3,086 tickets had been issued around the state 120 of those were for seat belt violations and 12 were for child restraint violations. Officers made 42 DUI arrests around the state.
Last year, troopers issued 6,212 tickets, investigated 273 accidents and made 121 DUI arrests, Armstrong said.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *