News
 By  Jonathan Willis Published 
7:47 am Monday, July 18, 2011

School leaders ask for vote to keep one-cent tax in place

School officials have asked that voters be allowed to decide if a one-cent sales tax implemented in June 2010 can be kept in effect for two more years.

Franklin County Schools Superintendent Gary Williams asked the county commission this week to put the item on the March 2012 election ballot.

When the tax was voted on in June 2010, it was stipulated that it would be for a two-year period.

“Without that tax, I don’t know what the Franklin County schools would be like,” Williams said.

“We have lost $6 million due to proration over the last couple of years and this tax has helped us tremendously.”

Williams said all of the tax money generated is used for payroll and making debt payments.

“I don’t think anybody can look at our books and say we’ve wasted a dime,” Williams said.

“We don’t have a dime to waste.”

The one-cent sales tax added in 2010 provided additional revenue for both the Franklin County and Russellville city schools. The county receives 52 percent of the revenue generated and the city schools receive 48 percent. It is split the same way as another one-cent tax put in place years ago.

According to Russellville city schools officials, the one-cent tax generated $857,009 from July 2010 through June 2011. County schools should have received about $1.2 million over the same time period.

City schools superintendent Rex Mayfield said the system lost $2,998,000 through proration since the 2008-2009 school year.

“The tax has allowed us to offset a portion of the proration from last year,” he said. “Without it we would definitely have to borrow money.”

Money received from the state is used for salaries and benefits of employees, Mayfield said. When proration is put into place, the state cuts that percentage off the amount allocated to local systems.

The county commission is expected to vote Monday whether or not to put the item on the ballot. Probate Judge Barry Moore said he expects the item to be allowed on the ballot.

“I think we should let the people decide just like they did in 2010,” Moore said.

Williams said he would once again take the issue to county voters and plead for the sake of the schools.

“We are desperate to have this on the ballot and we are desperate for people to vote for it,” he said.

If allowed, the item will be on the same ballot as the March 2012 primaries.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *