News
 By  Kellie Singleton Published 
12:16 am Monday, June 27, 2011

No burn ordinance still in effect

Even though the area has seen some rain recently, the no burn ordinance for the state of Alabama is still in effect.

The no burn ordinance means there should be no outdoor burning whatsoever, which includes no campfires and no burning of storm debris or other yard debris.

According to Neal Taylor, a forestry specialist with the Alabama Forestry Commission, The area has been so dry that even the little rainfall the area has received has soaked straight into the ground, doing little for the dry conditions on the surface.

“There is lots of fuel buildup on the ground from the recent storms and tornadoes,” Taylor said. “All out it is dry from the shortage on rainfall and the low humidity, so it wouldn’t take but just a small spark to start a massive fire that could do a lot of damage.”

Taylor said in the last month, the Forestry Commission has had to deal with a forest fire in Jefferson County that took out three acres.

Russellville Fire Chief Joe Mansell added their department also had to respond to a forest fire near the Rockwood community on June 14 that damaged three acres there.

“You just really don’t want to get into a bad situation, so the best thing to do is pay attention to the ordinance and refrain from burning anything until it is lifted,” Taylor said.

Many people have been concerned that with the no burn ordinance in place, fireworks would be prohibited on the Fourth of July, but according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, there hasn’t been a prohibition on firework use.

“If you’re planning to use fireworks around the Fourth, just make sure to exercise caution, monitor the weather conditions, have a bucket of water or a water hose ready, and make sure all fireworks are extinguished completely before leaving them unattended,” RFD Capt. Steve Thornton said. “You should also make sure of where you’re shooting your fireworks because if they land on someone else’s home or property and cause damage, you could be held responsible.”

Thornton said if a fire is started as a result of firework use, notify the fire department immediately.

“Even if you are able to get the fire out, it’s best to go ahead and call the department because, with conditions as dry as they’ve been, you never know if it might start back up after you leave.”

Thornton also cautioned firework users to play it safe and read the directions because there always seems to be an increase in injuries around the Fourth of July due to mismanagement or lack of supervision.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *