Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
6:47 am Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Little: County schools won't hire man facing sex charges

By By Georgia E. Frye / staff writer
June 30, 2004
Lauderdale County School Superintendent David Little said Tuesday a Meridian man arrested and charged with sexual battery in Rankin County will not coach at county schools.
The county school board had voted June 17 to hire Monty McMullen, 28, as the new head baseball coach at Northeast Lauderdale High School. Little said McMullen had not signed a contract.
McMullen, a former Florence High School teacher, was being held in Rankin County Jail on Wednesday on a $100,000 bond while awaiting his initial court appearance on two counts of sexual battery.
Richland police arrested McMullen on Friday on charges he had inappropriate relationships with two underaged girls.
Richland Police Chief Russel James would not confirm the girls in question are students of Florence High or whether they have graduated. He said the alleged sexual acts occurred in a Richland hotel.
McMullen was a physical education and health teacher and assistant football coach at Florence High School. His arrest was the third arrest of a central Mississippi school teacher in one month.
George Morris, 53, of Byram, a former track coach at Hillcrest Christian School, was arrested earlier this month on sexual battery and gratification of lust charges. He is accused of having sexual relations with a female student from 2002-2004.
Nancy Lewis, 45, a Ridgeland High School English teacher, pleaded innocent earlier this month to sexual battery and gratification of lust charges. Her charges stem from an alleged relationship with a student.
McMullen, a 1994 graduate of Lamar School, said earlier this month that he was excited "to get a chance to come back close to home to coach baseball."
McMullen would have replaced Steve Nelson. Little said that Nelson, who serves as Northeast football coach, could coach the baseball team if the district can't find a replacement on such short notice.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *