Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
5:05 pm Wednesday, May 19, 2004

BRAC-related amendment fails

By By Buddy Bynum / editor
May 19, 2004
U.S. Sen. Trent Lott's move to modify the 2005 round of military base closures was dealt a narrow defeat Tuesday in the Senate.
A Lott-sponsored amendment would have required the Defense Department to look at realigning 721 U.S. military installations overseas before closing any bases at home. The amendment failed on a 47-49 vote.
The $422.2 billion defense authorization bill being considered by the Senate still includes a House-passed amendment that would delay the 2005 BRAC, or base realignment and closure, by two years. That amendment was championed by U.S. Reps. Gene Taylor and Chip Pickering as it worked its way through the House last week.
Lott, an opponent of base closures, said it makes no sense to close domestic bases when more than 200,000 U.S. troops are stationed around the world, some, ironically, in spots that are less than hostile, such as unified Germany and the United Kingdom.
He said four previous BRAC rounds had resulted in little or no excess capacity in the U.S. The 2005 round, for the first time, includes National Guard installations; Naval Air Station Meridian and the 186th Air Refueling Wing of the Mississippi Air Guard are potential targets.
He said the National Guard and reservists are filling up to 40 percent of the deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Lott's amendment would not have affected the base closure schedule, but would require a force structure analysis of U.S. bases located overseas.
Lott said about 700 bases in Europe have been closed since the Berlin Wall came down, but the U.S. still has 80,000 active duty troops in Germany and 310 military installations in the country. Germany recently said it would not provide 2,500 troops to guard U.S. bases in Germany while American soldiers ordinarily stationed there are fighting in Iraq.
Besides Germany, Lott said the U.S. maintains 18 installations in Belgium, 12 in The Netherlands, 101 in South Korea and 54 in the United Kingdom.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *