Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
12:23 pm Tuesday, May 4, 2004

The USM settlement

By Staff
May 3, 2004
Disputed personnel decisions tend to detract from the main mission of education in Mississippi, which is to give young people the mental tools they need to build a successful life. That's why it was good news when beleaguered University of Southern Mississippi President Shelby Thames and two fired USM professors settled a conflict last week.
The two professors will remain at USM for two years in non-teaching roles and, in return, will not to pursue legal action against the university. It may or may not be the best solution, but it is a solution.
What was expected to be a two-day hearing featuring Thames, sociology professor Frank Glamser and English professor Gary Stringer was truncated when mediator Reuben Anderson announced the agreement. The College Board approved the deal on Friday.
Thames had testified that the professors had made misleading statements and acted dishonestly in digging into the qualifications of Angie Dvorak, USM's vice president of research and economic development. Thames and attorneys for the university indicated the real reason the professors initiated the investigation was their dislike of Thames' administration. Attorneys for the professors argued it was Thames, not the professors, who had acted unprofessionally in seeking to dismiss the two and had, in effect, retaliated against them. The professors had sent Dvorak's Social Security number out over the Internet in an effort to obtain information.
School officials have said Dvorak's credentials were checked and found to be correct, and she remains on the job. Suffice it to say, no one should misuse another person's Social Security number in this fashion, no matter what their personal like or dislike for their bosses.
All that said, it is clearly in the best interests of USM for this problem to go away. Somehow, the university needs to get out of a contentious atmosphere and back to the basic business of education. College Board President Thomas Colbert put it succinctly: Now we will be able to move ahead and continue focusing on providing first rate education at USM.''

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *