Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
1:11 am Tuesday, October 21, 2003

MSU preparing for life after Sherrill

By By Tony Krausz / assistant sports editor
Oct. 21, 2003
STARKVILLE In 1991, Mississippi State University athletic director Larry Templeton brought Jackie Sherrill to the university to turn the Bulldogs football program around.
Sherrill did just that in his 13-tenure at the school. The Bulldogs have gone 75-70-2 since Sherrill arrived, and the program has appeared in six bowl games.
Now, Templeton is searching for a replacement for the coach he hired just over a decade ago.
While MSU's athletic director said he hasn't begun a formal search for a new coach, Templeton told reporters during a press conference Monday that he did have a list of candidates in mind.
Sherrill announced last Friday on MSU's website that he would step down from his coaching position at the conclusion of the 2003 season on Nov. 27, after the Bulldogs annual Egg Bowl contest against Ole Miss. The website posting was accompanied by written statements from Sherrill, Templeton and university president Dr. J. Charles Lee.
Templeton said Sherrill told him last Monday that he wanted to announce his departure from MSU, and that he started getting phone calls from interested parties after the official announcement last Friday.
Templeton would not reveal which names are on his list for potential head coaches, but he did talk about the scrutiny he expects throughout the search. Specifically in the area of minority hiring.
The Southeastern Conference has long been criticized for never having an African-American head coach in its history.
Lee and Templeton said the university will try to hire a new coach as soon as possible after the season ends. Templeton said he would like to hire a new coach between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Along with looking for a new coach, Templeton is also dealing with an ongoing investigation by the NCAA, which announced last month that the organization's preliminary investigation into alleged rules violations by MSU's football program would continue past the original six-month deadline.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *