Archived Story

Red Bay teens arrested following weekend vandalism

Published 3:20pm Tuesday, November 6, 2012

RED BAY – Three people, including two juveniles, were arrested this weekend after police say they went on a vandalism spree Saturday night and destroyed personal and city property throughout the town.

Scotty Porter, 19, 3772 Franklin 25, Vina, was arrested on two counts of third-degree burglary and two counts of third-degree theft of property, Red Bay Police Chief Janna Jackson said.

Jackson said two juveniles, one male and one female, were also arrested in connection with the crime.

Jackson said her department started receiving calls Sunday morning that several businesses in town as well as the city’s park, storm shelter, and several trees had been painted with blue, orange and white paint.

“The damage was just unbelievable,” Jackson said. “It looked like they had just gone all over town.”

Jackson said officers immediately began investigating the vandalism, especially since the damage seemed to be so extensive.”

Police investigator Sgt. Rodney Belue said officers discovered the paint, which was in the city’s school colors, had been taken from a storage building on the Red Bay High School campus.

Belue said during the course of the investigation, Porter and the two juveniles were developed as suspects.

“When officers went to question the suspects Sunday evening, they discovered that all three of them still had paint on their hands and clothing,” Belue said.

Belue added that additional criminal mischief charges would be pending depending on how much damage was done and how many people came forward to press charges.

“The citizens of Red Bay take pride in our city and the way it looks to those who pass through, so this was just very sad that these teenagers took it upon themselves to deface so much property,” Jackson said.

“We’re glad that we were able to find out who did this and take them into custody before any more property could be damaged.

“Hopefully this will deter anyone else from doing similar things in the future.”

At press time, Porter and the two juveniles were still in custody.


















Editor's Picks