Storm shelter locations and safety informationPublished 10:55am Monday, April 28, 2014
April 27, 2011 taught many local residents to not take the threat of severe weather lightly.
With severe weather, including the possibility for tornadoes, in the forecast for this afternoon and evening, residents should take precautions now to be prepared if tornado warning sirens are activated.
• Have a bag packed with essential items including food, water, batteries, a flashlight, a first-aid kit, and any necessary medications.
• Have a reliable way to receive weather updates. If the power is out, a battery-powered radio may become the best source for updates so have one of these available.
• Stay weather aware and pay close attention to any weather-related information given by local meteorologists or emergency personnel.
• Only dial 911 if you are experiencing an emergency. Emergency lines need to remain open for actual emergencies in the event that severe weather does affect this area.
• Know where to go. Discuss your emergency preparedness plan with your family so everyone is on the same page if the time comes.
The following is a list of shelters in Franklin County available to the public. If it isn’t possible to make it to one of these shelters, get in the lowest part of your home away from windows and doors. Put as many walls between yourself and the exterior of the home as possible. If you live in a mobile home, seek another reliable source of shelter.
•Franklin County storm shelters:
204 Ash Ave. (Ralph C. Bishop Community Center)
511 Gaines Ave.
410 North Jackson Ave. (Franklin County Courthouse
311 North Jackson Ave. (First United Methodist Church)
132 Sherry Bryce Drive, (Phil Campbell Community Center)
3550 Broad St. (First Baptist Church)
640 Second St. NE (Red Bay Water Park)
627 Ninth Ave. NW (old airport location)
509 Fourth St. SW (Red Bay First Methodist Church)
14141 Alabama 187 (near Belgreen High School gym)
10365 Franklin 81 (south of the Franklin 81 and Franklin 93 intersection)
1842 Alabama 172 (behind city hall)
23 Franklin 80 (Tharptown Volunteer Fire Department)
79 Church St.
2785 Franklin 90 (Pleasant Site Volunteer Fire Department)
75 Franklin 224 (Burnout Volunteer Fire Department)
7464 Franklin 41 (Frankfort Volunteer Fire Department)
3673 Gravel Hill Rd. (Gravel Hill Volunteer Fire Department)
5588 Franklin 93 (Union Community Center)
11 Franklin 64 (Frog Pond Volunteer Fire Department)
3001 Franklin 75 (Blue Springs Volunteer Fire Department)