Russellville’s Greenhill pitches no-hitterPublished 2:56pm Tuesday, March 11, 2014
By Bart Moss
For the FCT
For the second time in two weeks, a Franklin County pitcher has thrown a no-hitter.
Russellville’s Cody Greenhill went the distance striking out 11 batters and giving up no hits in the Golden Tigers’ 2-0 win over Belmont, Miss.
The Golden Tigers got the only two runs they needed in the first and second innings. Russellville got their runs off of five hits and three Belmont errors.
Austin Kitterman had two hits. Bailey Thompson and Tyler Childers also had one hit each. Hayden Evans added an RBI.
- VINA – In a loss to Smithville, Miss., Vina’s Daniel Wooten pitched a complete game. Wooten struck out three and only allowed three hits. Wooten was also 1-2 at the plate.
- RUSSELLVILLE – An all-around effort led the Russellville Golden Tigers past Russell County 8-4. The Golden Tigers scored two in the first inning and three in the fifth inning. Bailey Thompson had two hits and three RBIs. Micah Fleming pitched five innings and struck out three.
In a loss to Beauregard, Russellville pounded out nine hits but could only manage to convert them into four runs. Landon Oliver had two RBIs for the Golden Tigers.
Russellville outhit Florence 11 to 5 but couldn’t translate that to a win over the Eagles. Four errors were costly to the Golden Tigers in the 5-4 loss. Austin Kitterman, Bailey Thompson and Trevor Malone had two hits each. Kitterman also struck out three Florence batters.
- PHIL CAMPBELL – In a loss to Colbert County, Phil Campbell’s Skyler Tackett got two hits. Blake Jones pitched four innings for the Bobcats and gave up only one earned run.
- PHIL CAMPBELL – Phil Campbell used the long ball to defeat Cherokee 4-2 in area play. Vickie McAlister broke a 2-2 tie with a home run over the left field fence to make the score 3-2. Madison Hardy added another home run with a shot over the center field fence to make the score 4-2. Cassidy Karr was the winning pitcher.
- RED BAY/PHIL CAMPBELL – Phil Campbell beat Red Bay 16-1 in three innings. Leah Jackson hit a home run to center field. Reagan Roberts was the winning pitcher for the Bobcats who are 2-0 in area play.
- BELGREEN – Last Tuesday afternoon, the Belgreen junior high team won their season opener against East Franklin Junior High, 30-15. Abby Hester scored five runs for Belgreen and was also the winning pitcher. Shellie Barber, Anna Grace Humphres, and Kaycee Wilson all scored four runs. Cortny Williams, Cammie Terrell, and Meghan Smith scored three runs each. Cheyenne Cheatam and Hannah Bradford added two runs for the Lady Bulldogs’ final tally. Angel Morgan, Hannah Beneford, and Alli Swinney all scored three runs each for East Franklin.
- COVENANT TOURNEY – During the Covenant Christian Tournament this past weekend, the Cherokee Lady Indians defeated the Vina Lady Red Devils in the first game.
In the second game, Belgreen defeated the Red Bay Lady Tigers 8-0. In that game, Belgreen scored three runs in the first inning with a RBI double from Cortny Williams and a RBI single by Allyson Bragwell. In the second inning, Allyson Bragwell had a two-RBI single and Bailey Clark had a two-RBI single to increase their lead to the final tally of 8-0. Laken Bragwell held the Lady Tigers scoreless giving up only three hits and striking out eight.
On Saturday in the winner bracket, the Lady Bulldogs and the Lady Indians sent the game into two international tie-breakers before Cherokee pulled out a 1-0 heartbreaker for Belgreen (2-1) handing them their first lost of the season. Both pitchers struck out six with Morgan Sennett picking up the win, while Laken Bragwell picked up the loss giving up only five hits. Allyson Bragwell had a triple and Skyler Nelson had a single for the Lady Bulldogs.
In other games in the tournament, Vina defeated Covenant Christian; Red Bay defeated Vina; Brilliant defeated Red Bay; and Cherokee defeated Brilliant 10-0 in the championship game.
(Editor’s Note: All game results and highlights are sent in by coaches.)